Kings of car sound to be crowned ... at Skateland today

Published: Sunday | July 22, 2012 Comments 0

Stuart Duquesnay, who runs Supreme Audio and Electronics, hints at a grudge match between cities which will be played out - literally - at his car sound clash event today. "There is a little rift between MoBay and Kingston. A few months ago, there was a spin-off in MoBay and town man go there and take the trophy," Duquesnay said.

There will be ample chance for revenge today as the Guinness Kings of Car Sound Clash takes place at Skateland, Half-Way Tree, St Andrew, from noon to midnight.

The choice of venue is laden with symbolism as it was once the scene of many sound system battles. "That's why I use it. Skateland has a history of sound clashes," Duquesnay said. And he is confident that the car sounds will do justice to the legacy as "big sound no have nutten over car sound right now".

He makes it clear that Guinness Kings of Car Sound Clash is not a car stereo competition but a clash, although "we have to keep it clean because it is a Guinness event". The battles will take place in 45, Dub Fi Dub, Clarity, and Amateur categories. In the 45 section, where persons play commercially available recordings, the winner will take home a trophy and $45,000. The Dub Fi Dub winner earns $35,000 and a trophy, while the top Clarity entrant wins $10,000 and the best amateur $5,000.

huge trophies

"We are trying to pride ourselves on having the biggest set of trophies. They are like three and four feet tall," Duquesnay said.

Although it is his first time hosting a car stereo clash, Duquesnay's car stereo competition history goes back to 1992. He is confident of pulling in worthy competitors as "being in the business so long I have the majority of competitors under my cap". He also points out that each car sound has its crew of fans, and at the clash, 80 per cent of the assessment will be up to the crowd, while judges determine the remaining 20 per cent.

Admission is $500 and parking is available on South Odeon Avenue.

- M.C.

Share |

The comments on this page do not necessarily reflect the views of The Gleaner.
The Gleaner reserves the right not to publish comments that may be deemed libelous, derogatory or indecent. Please keep comments short and precise. A maximum of 8 sentences should be the target. Longer responses/comments should be sent to "Letters of the Editor" using the feedback form provided.
blog comments powered by Disqus