Edmond Campbell, Senior Staff Reporter
WORK ON the Queensborough Bridge in St Andrew is expected to resume on Monday following a dispute between the main contractor and subcontractor, which stalled the project.
Chief executive officer of the National Works Agency (NWA), E.G. Hunter, said a disagreement between China Harbour Engineering Company and its subcontractor, Y.P. Seaton and Associates, had resulted in the cessation of work on the multimillion-dollar project for nearly two weeks.
Hunter told members of the Infrastructure and Physical Development Committee on Wednesday that the NWA had intervened in the stand-off and brokered a formula for the continuation of the project.
He said while work on the Queensborough Bridge had been set for completion before August 6, it has now been rescheduled for opening in September.
In addition, Hunter informed the committee that the Cassia Park Bridge in St Andrew would be completed and reopened in time for the start of the new academic year in September.
Committee members were also told by Hunter that his agency had been negotiating a reduction in the original price to construct the Westmoreland Bridge in St Mary.
Hunter was tight-lipped on the details of the cost reduction, but pointed out that senior director for the NWA, Earl Patterson, had negotiated the cut in the price tag.
He divulged that as soon as the agency's lawyers complete their review of the arrangement, the NWA would make the matter public.
A total of 76 projects have been completed, to date, under the Jamaica Development Infrastructure Programme.
The massive infrastructure programme is funded by the China EXIM Bank and the Jamaican Government to the tune of US$400 million.